Is there really such a thing as Perfect Light? Preferred Light maybe, but not Perfect. In my time in photography, I have found that ALL light is perfect. It is up to the photographer to capture, modify, diffuse or create light around a subject and display it so that is shows his or her vision.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

 We just purchased a Phottix Strato II setup. Two Transmitters and four receivers. This will be replacing the TwinLink T2D set we were using. I won't compare and say how good or bad they are until I have used them for at least 3 or 4 months. That wil allow me to see how dependable they are. That's whats most important to me, knowing they will work every time I reach for them. With my first TwinLink set it worked great, at first. After about 4 months of moderate use they began to misfire. Then the radio signal completely failed. Only the infrared signal would work, which is line-of-sight. For that I may as well have used the pop-up flash to trigger the strobes. The second TwinLink transmitter would eat batteries as fast as I could put them in it. I had it checked out. When I got it back, I would have to tap on it just to get it to power up. Finally, after going through 3 sets of 032 batteries in the transmitters during a single basketball game. I said never again.

  So here we are with a handful of new radio triggers. The feature set seems nice with the groups A-D. I also like the fact that the transmitter uses AAA batteries, and not some odd watch style battery. Size wise they are nice. Slightly smaller than the T2Ds, with no antenna. I haven't had a chance to test the range of the Stratos, but they should be about the same. I will be using these 3 to 4 times a week, as part of my 365 Photo Project this year is focusing on off camera lighting. I was off to a good start, when my T2Ds failed. I carried on with my TTL cord or shooting in the studio with our Einsteins and Cyber Commander. So these will see a fair amount of regular use. Let's see how they hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment